Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Worlds Apart

The American Gandhi visited a community center class for GED students yesterday. The students were young women between the ages of 18 and 21, mothers without spouses, and ethnically diverse. I shared my message of truth, love, and suffering compassion briefly. Then, launched into the tumultuous marriage at 13 through South Africa and India. Four sons, commitment through celibacy in 1906, to Kastur's death in prison with me in 1942. And, the warts were shared in their reality as I remember them. Kastur taught me nonviolence.

I could not be more conscious about the sociological differences of family and culture than I was between my experience in India and these young women's experiences in Cleveland. Yet...yet. While they did not believe that the world would become nonviolent, I felt a sense of acceptance. The teachers felt the experience was well worth it. I wondered what it would be like to develop trust which would bring out an honest discussion about sexuality, urban living in our United States ethos!

I hope to get the video to share with you.

1 comment:

ixtlan23 said...

I'm very proud of you dad. Good luck on this journey. I know several people who are following and talking about your blog and have kept me updated, and they haven't even met you.