Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The American Gandhi is off to the UK

Tomorrow, I leave Cleveland by air for Glasgow Scotland in my new wool loincloth and shawl. My Cleveland visit has been full with interest and support. On Sunday evening the Catholic Worker community blessed me with prayer and well wishes at their Pentecost ritual. Pentecost celebrates the spirit descending on Jesus' disciples, inspiring them to carry the message of love and nonviolence to the world. Flaming fire is the symbol. Like at Traditions in Olympia and Seneca College in Toronto, the assembly laid hands on me with heartfelt words. How could I not be moved to undertake this walk and action!

On Monday, the editor of India International photographed me in character before the powerful memorial statue of Gandhi in Cleveland's cultural gardens. Gandhi is walking at full gait with stick and streaming shawl. His words are quoted, "No weapon is more powerful than nonviolence."

The Cleveland Plain Dealer will have a short article about my journey in tomorrow's paper.

As morning news comes about the United States' president sending a Navel force to the shores of Iran, sending covert destabilizing forces into Iran, and the Senate authorizing $94 billion to continue the assault on Iraq without any commitment to withdraw, I could not have more motivation to seek a new human presence on earth with a renewed spirit.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Godspeed, Bernie.